Welcome

Friday, October 25, 2013

Use It or Lose It- Snappin' Out of a Funk

I always said, "There is NO WAY I could ever be a teacher!" But I have quickly discovered that those very things we think we CAN'T do, may end up being the very things we find a new excitement for, if given the chance.

This past week I began a journey of substitute teaching and I have to say, it has been a wonderful blessing filled with LOTS of laughs! I have heard so many funny things come out of the mouths of kids, especially since I have 3 of my own, plus a house full of 'friends' most the time. However, this week I have been given a different view. I looked at my students with a sense of wonder for what their lives may hold, a belief that they REALLY ARE our future and my heart went out to this generation as it IS the most difficult to grow up in.

What if us as adults, saw our day as that of a student... you could be anything you wanted to be, accomplish great things in life and still make a difference in the world? How would that change our motivation, drive and goals? How would that change our world? Being an adult is hard, especially when you are a single parent barely getting by, I get it! But, I made a choice to see life through a different lens this week.

I am usually a pretty positive person, until the last few months. I allowed my circumstances to TRAMPLE my faith and drive. I LET the negative creep in... and boy did it show! I wasn't the 'me I want to be' AT ALL! and I'll spare you the details, but my heart is heavy and my bank account is still empty, yet I woke up today with all of the tools I need to take one more step- in the RIGHT direction. So that is what I am doing... TEACHING MYSELF, one step at a time, one day at a time... Focusing on what I CAN DO and not on what I'm lacking. I made a few adjustments the last few weeks:

  • Removed myself from negative atmospheres
  • Reaffirmed my faith, both in church and with my daily devotion time
  • Recommited to a healthy lifestyle again: Eating healthy, working out, etc.
  • Surrounded myself with positive people. Let's face it, "you are who you hang with"
  • Made a list of what I CAN CHANGE and what I have no control over. Then took the focus off the 'have no control over' list. (What and I willing to accept and what am I not?)
  • Brainstormed ideas to pull myself up financially utilizing the talents I DO have
  • Went back to the basics of planning my week- this is a HUGE thing for me: meals, schedules, activities, etc. 
  • Listened to more uplifting music and read more positive quotes and articles- less of the funny, yet super sarcastic stuff I had drifted towards.
  • And finally, let go of what others might say about me- who cares! They are not in my shoes and they do not raise 3 kids single-handedly, trying to provide financially almost 100% AND physically. 
Just like my students, I have a future ahead of me and can still be anything I want to be, with the right amount of hard work, planning and diligence... and of course a positive attitude. I can teach myself to use it or lose it!

"Commit your work to the Lord and your plans will be established." Proverbs 16:3


\

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and experiences